I’ve been testing out the Cult Gaia Ark bag this past month to see what all the fuss is about. There’s been so much hype about this bag and I wanted to find out for myself if it really is worth the column inches! Unless you’re dead you’ll have seen the Ark bag doing the rounds online and among the fashion crowd.
So I whisked it away to Tenerife for a couple of weeks for a cosy getaway and a chance to get to know it better. But before you buy, because I know you want to, check out my honest review below. There are things you should know.
The Practical Bits
The wooden version of the Ark bag comes in 2 shades – Natural and Dark Stain. I got mine in the Natural bamboo finish.
It comes in two sizes – Small and Large. The Small measures 11″ x 8″ x 3″ and the Large 12.5″ x 10.5″ x 4″. I got the Large.
Price wise the Small retails at $ 128 on the Cult Gaia site www.cultgaia.com and the Large $ 138.
Things You Should Know About The Ark Bag
What’s Good About It?
- It’s versatile. It’s a practical bag that you can wear with most styles of outfit, whether that’s jeans and a tee, a dress and heels or a beach look.
- It’s roomy. I got the Large version only because the Small was sold out but I’m glad I did. It’s got plenty of space for everyday essentials. Plus I was able to get my Olympus Pen camera, book and suncream in when I took it with me for a day by the pool.
- Things don’t fall through the cracks! I was so worried things would fall out of the bag through the gaps but they haven’t at all. Maybe if I put a receipt or business cards in the wrong way they would escape but so far it’s held everything securely.
- I think it’s fair to say this is quite possibly the most beautiful wooden bag ever! The slatted bamboo and architectural curved design is a killer combo. This is one of those bags that completes a look and will get you lots of compliments!
The Downside of the Cult Gaia Ark Bag
- Not to be obvious here but it’s a tote bag and that’s it. There’s no shoulder strap, you can’t wear it across your body as a messenger bag or hook it over your arm. So if you don’t like to carry your bag by hand all the time this may not be the bag for you.
- There’s no zip or clasp. I know some people like to be able to securely close their bag. As I said nothing fell out of mine but it could well happen.
- While the bag costs $138 which I think is a good price for a unique and beautiful piece, I know some would argue you can buy a wooden bag or basket cheaper elsewhere.
So Should You Buy Or Not?
If you’re into bags then yes the Cult Gaia Ark bag is definitely one you should add to your collection. You can get yours here.
Natural bags are having a moment this spring / summer so if you don’t fancy this one there are lots of wooden totes, straw baskets and raffia carriers out there. Scroll down for 9 natural bags you need now.
Thanks for dropping by – J xx