If you’re thinking about getting the Gucci Dionysus Blooms bag then read on. This review covers all your need to know plus a sneak peek inside my bag! I can’t believe I haven’t done one of these posts already, given how much I love bags…
You remember I picked up the Gucci Dionysus GG Blooms shoulder bag (to call it by it’s proper name) in August but we haven’t really chatted about it properly. Quite a few of you told me how much you love it (snap!) on Instagram and Facebook so I thought I’d give you more details and let you know whether it’s worth adding to your Christmas list (shortcut – it totally is).
WHAT’S INSIDE MY BAG
No matter what bag I use I always carry lip balm, lipstick, my phone, wallet and hand cream. One of my favourite lipsticks is this one from the Mac Liptensity range. It’s a creamy neutral brown shade called Doe and I would definitely recommend it if you like to wear a natural looking colour. This lip cream from Clarins in Rosewood Shimmer is also great and gives a glossy sheen which lasts for ages. When it comes to hand creams this one by Aesop is THE business. It’s buttery, not greasy plus it smells great. I’ve been using L’Occitane lip balm for the past year and can’t recommend it enough. It’s moisturising and creamy, definitely worth putting on your bedside locker and taking everywhere. What’s missing from my bag, and what I absolutely need is a portable phone charger. I’m on my iPhone so much every day the battery is totally battered. I’m charging it 2 or 3 times a day (nightmare). So if you can recommend any good ones let me know!
Ok, now you’ve had a look at what I cart around in this Gucci dream bag, let’s get down to business and chat about THE BAG (I love this bag sooo much!). The Dionysus bag, named after the Greek God, has a tiger head closure on the front in antiqued silver hardware. Most people go for the black or beige GG monogramed version as they’re neutral and can be worn with practically anything but I love blue. For me it is neutral and fits well with my wardrobe. I picked out 3 bags to ‘try on’ in the Gucci store in Vienna – the small and medium versions of the blue Dionysus Blooms bag and the small GG Supreme canvas cross-body in beige/ebony.
The medium Dionysus Blooms bag (above) was a great size but was pretty heavy and as much as I love a big bag it was actually too big for me.
The Dionysus GG Supreme Shoulder Bag is a great mini-bag. It comes with a chain that allows you to wear it on the shoulder as well as across the body. Also, you can use it as a tote if you double up the chain strap. This bag is very versatile and striking like the Blooms bag. I have to say I was really tempted.
In the end I went with the small Dionysus Blooms bag, the size worked for me and the blue suede and florals were too irresistible. Let’s cover the practical bits:
- This is a great size for everyday. It measures W28 cm x H17 cm x D9 cm with plenty of space for the basics and more.
- It has 4 pockets including 1 under the blue flap and 1 of the internal compartments has a zip.
- You can wear the bag 2 ways, on the shoulder with a 15 inch drop or as a tote with 8.5 inch chain.
- Design wise, it’s stunning. The painted flowers, silver hardware, navy monogrammed GG’s and blue suede on the outside and inside of the bag make it one of the most photogenic bags I’ve ever seen.
- Price wise it retails at €1,79o on the Gucci site. While this is absolutely a lot of money, compared with other designer bags of a similar size and design it’s not a bad price. A pre-loved Chanel bag of a similar size (W25 cm, H15 cm, D6 cm) retails on the Vestiaire Collective site at over €3,200. A new Valentino Lock Bag in medium (W27 cm, H17 cm, D7 cm) is for sale on the Net-a-Porter site for €1,680. The coveted Pierce Bag by J.W. Anderson, medium size in cobalt blue retails for over €1,300 on the site. It’s slightly bigger (W 29.5 cm, H 20 cm, D 11.5 cm) and slightly cheaper.
So, yes, you should absolutely put it on your Christmas wish list. Me? Oh I’d love something small, like this mini bucket bag by Simon Miller (€405) or this amazing little micro shoulder bag by 3.1 Philip Lim (€660). Thanks!
What do you think of the Gucci Dionysus Blooms bag? If you have any questions about the bag or just want to chat drop me a note in the comments box below!
Thanks for dropping by – J xx