As I write this I’m watching everyone’s Instagram feeds light up from Paris Fashion Week and I’ve got major FOMO. Really wish I’d gone now. It’s still on, maybe I should jump on a train…
STAY OR GO?
I went to PFW for the first time last October. I really didn’t care what row I was in or if I was papped for amazing street style, I just wanted to be there, see the clothes up close, eat a tonne of croque monsieurs and breathe in the FW atmosphere.
There are invites for Fall presentations sitting in my inbox for this week but I’ve decided not to go. Between the travel, hotel and outfits it’s an expense and I’m trying to manage my spending this year (the key word here is trying). So I’m planning on going next season if the fashion gods shine down on me and send some invites!
BACK TO THE PRESENT
Anyway, never mind Autumn, if there’s one look I’m loving now it’s the oversized trench coat. The classic trench will ALWAYS be a staple in our Spring wardrobe but this season it’s the statement piece and deservedly so. Take inspiration from Vetements, Tibi, and Topshop on this one.
HOW TO WEAR
- The silhouette is oversized so go a couple of sizes up from your normal size, like you borrowed it from your dad
- Add texture with high shine vinyl or denim
- Ditch the neutrals and go for full impact colour or saturated pattern in florals or check
- Wear it open and loose or with just the top button done
- Bunch up the sleeves to show off all that lovely gathered material and details at the cuff
- Add a contrasting belt around the waist – take a cue from Burberry with something studded.
I got my blue oversized trench from Next a few weeks ago and to be honest I haven’t taken it off much since. It’s been perfect for the confused warm-then-rainy days in Zurich. Plus it’s been a welcome change from my usual black / grey / checked coats on high rotation. I love this shade (well, you know I have a thing for blue) but this colour works especially well for us blondes and it’s the perfect pastel tone for Spring.
Check out another one of my favourite looks for this season here.
Thanks for dropping by! J xx
This coat was gifted by Next
Photography by Jennifer Maerz